Hi Folks,

     Just back from 10 days of wilderness canoeing in Canada. Karen and
I still love the northern Georgian Bay canoe country, but we found that
what was once easy to do in a day is now pretty hard. Lots of cormorants
and lousy fishing in what once was very good fishing. I think there is a
causal relationship, which I would be glad to discuss off line.

     We arrived back to read the very interesting discussion about the
refuge system.

    Regarding funds for refuge support:

First, money from all sources provided to the refuge system is welcome by me

Second, it once was true, and I think still is, that the Duck Stamp
provides for the purchase of lands and that the general tax revenue
provides for the operational budget of the entire supporting system.
Hence, the plaque at the lookout for the Knox-Marcellus wetlands,which
says that the land was bought with funds from hunters, i.e., sales of
the duck stamp.

Third, Obama proposed $1.3 billion for FWS operations in the coming
fiscal year, much of which is for the refuge system itself (and also for
implementation of the Endangered Species Act). The historical total
amount of funds raised by duck stamp sales from the 80 year history of
the project is about $900 million with about $24 to $25 million per year
recently. This is very nice to have, but the annual funds raised by the
duck stamp sales is maybe about 2% of the annual budget for the refuge
system. Interestingly, there is no designated funding source for refuge
management for non-consumptive use of the refuge as there is from taxes
on sales of ammunition or guns. I wish the federal government would have
passed such a tax on bird seed or binoculars. Such a tax proposal was
supported by NYSOA several years ago when there was federal
consideration of such a refuge-supporting tax proposal discussed in
congress. I recall reading that the proposal was strongly opposed by the
major manufacturers of optical equipment used by birders. By the way,
the revenue from duck stamps is remaining about level, or actually
declining with adjustment for inflation. In New York the decline is
particularly severe: the annual sales have declined from about 100,000
duck stamps per year in the 70's to about 40,000 in the last decade.  As
duck stamp revenue has remained about level for the last couple decades,
the general federal budget provides a larger share of the annual
expenditures for the refuge system.

John Confer