Hi,
I find it interesting in this discussion that there is no mention of all the
other places that one can walk in the complex as well as the MAC. The wildlife
drive to my knowledge is the only place where they ask you to stay in the car.
Yes, Knox Marcellus might be more accessible, but they have had guided walks
there. Let' a remember too, that the very people you want to recruit as nature
lovers use the drive usually without any binoculars or scopes. What can anyone
see that follows in the wake of people flushing birds away from the edge?
Surely, the same birds, butterflies, and flowers can be seen at most of the
places with similar habitat that one is allowed to walk. I am also surprised
that in this discussion I am reading of how peoples needs and desires somehow
justify not respecting the rule as it stands presently. I learned like Marie
that staying in the car was not so bad after all. You see more and so will the
next person after you. The refuge could do a lot here by just clarifying their
policy. Like Mark said, they are very busy right now moving all that dirt, and
would get nothing done if they had to stop every five minutes to police people.
I am all for promoting the natural world. I think the refuge meets both needs
while respecting what their mission statement is. Walk into the other areas and
you can probably still have the same experience you are looking for.

Diana Whiting

Sent from my iPhone