Thank you all for your reports on the ospreys. I injured my shoulder again
and I'm going to be one-armed for a while so please continue sending me any
osprey reports you can. I greatly appreciate every sighting and keep them
all for use in local osprey population studies and conservation.

Husband Dave and I went to SP after my doc apt. at 3:15 pm and saw both
Odin and Orion flying well. Odin made several attempts to fish dropping
down from his perch next to the creek and Orion circled the platform and
made an unsuccessful attempt to land on a limb and opted for the nest.
Odin's fl;edge date was July 31 and Orion was Tuesday August 5. Unlike last
year's fledges which were behind schedule as are most new nests, these
chicks have ample time to learn the finer points of flying and fishing
before migration.

Just as we were leaving four intruders came to the nest en masse, circling
it repeatedly as they were pursued by Ophelia and Orpheus. Odin was sitting
in a tree nearby and Orion sat on the nest platform during the entire
encounter which lasted over seven minutes. (Most encounters with intruders
around the nest last one to three minutes.) The intruders were especially
aggressive, staying close to the nest and not letting Orpheus and Ophelia
drive them away over the lake as usual.

The parents repeatedly flew close to the nest and chirped at Orion. (I
assumed they were checking on him.) The intruders never got closer than 50
feet from the nest as Ophelia would base them instantly. I plan to discuss
the apparent increase in intruders in the area in an upcoming blog.

The next important date, which could happen anytime now, is when Ophelia
leaves for her long migration 2K-4K miles depending on her destination. (I
consider her migrated, when I have not seen her after three days of six-
hour observations.) Between that time, we should see some very fine flying
from the adults and the painful learning process of flying and fishing.
After Ophelia leaves on migration, Orpheus will continue to bring fish to
the nest for Odin and Orion until they can fish for themselves and are
officially juveniles.

Once again, thank you each and every one for you continued help. I can not
tell you how much it means to me and it is crucial to the information I am
trying to gather. Please send any questions you'd like address in a blog.

Candace