Concern for animal welfare is always worth considering. However, it seems
climbing to nests is quite different than observing a bird.  In some
circumstances, crows will abandon nests with chicks if someone climbs to the
nest.

Here is what the BNA account says:

Sensitivity To Disturbance At Nest And Roost Sites
Timbering activities near nests can cause failure, especially during incubation
(Anonymous
1989<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/298/articles/species/298/biblio/bib013>,
 Boal and Mannan
1994<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/298/articles/species/298/biblio/bib034>).
 Logging activities, such as loading and skidding, within 50–100 m of nest can
cause abandonment, even with 20-d-old nestlings present (JRS). However, see
Zirrer
(1947<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/298/articles/species/298/biblio/bib242>)
 for descriptions of repeated renesting attempts despite extreme disturbance.
Camping near nests has also caused failures (n = 2; Speiser
1992<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/298/articles/species/298/biblio/bib202>).
Research Impacts
Disturbances associated with research are usually of short duration, apparently
having little impact on nesting birds. Viewing nests for short periods after
young have hatched does not cause desertion. Trapping adults during nesting for
banding or attaching transmitters apparently does not cause abandonment. The
percentage of nesting pairs with radios that successfully raised young (83%, n
= 8, 1988–1989) was similar to those without radios (82%, n = 10, 1987–1990;
Austin
1993<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/298/articles/species/298/biblio/bib018>).
I don’t see a pressing concern here, personally.

Kevin