I'm just suggesting that an overdoes of caution for the sake of a
species that is known to be adverse to human disturbance is worth
considering. The evidence for goshawk nest abandonment that I know about
is limited but real.  I doubt that at this time of year that there would
be any impact on reproductive success, but a visit in ~April-May might
have an impact.

40 years ago Dorothy McIlroy described to me one goshawk nest that was
abandoned while the birds were on eggs and 30 years ago John Snelling, a
former grad student of Tom Cade, with a strong interest in raptors, also
described such an instance. John Gregoire, below, added another
instance(s). This doesn't approach the sample size for a publication.
There is data for golden-wings that the number fledged per nest is lower
for renests, but that comes from pooling nearly a dozen major studies of
GWWA reproductive success, including a half-dozen PhDs, and is
detectable only with a sample size of on the order of 500 nests. This
won't happen for goshawk. So what we have is anecdotal.

Since my information on goshawk is old and very personal and not
generally known among the public,  I wanted to make the gentle
suggestion that for birds swuch as ravens and goshawk or similar birds
with individual pairs that can be adversely affected by human presence
that the location of (potential) territories and/or nests is probably
not a good thing to share. It is interesting that within a species there
may be pairs that are acclimated to human presence and pairs that don';t
often contact humans and may "over-react' to human intrusion. This the
consequence of visiting a nest or entering a territory is unpredictable.

Cheers,

John

>>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES

>>> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html