Several of us travelled around the lake yesterday, picking up a few new birds
for the year.

The TUFTED DUCK was easy to observe (sleeping) after Dave Nutter again spotted
it from along Rt 89. Gary Kohlenberg re-found the single Black Scoter in close
to the ice edge at Hog Hole. Also present in the SW corner of the lake were
several Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, a large number of Common Mergansers, a
few Canavsbacks, and a large portion of the huge Redhead flock that is
wintering on the lake.

>From the boathouse in Aurora we found 9 Horned Grebes but could not locate the
>Eared Grebe.

The ice edge was just north of Farley’s point and yet, surprisingly, the ponds
in Union Springs were nearly empty. We could not locate the Green-winged Teal
of the week before.

In mid-afternoon we received a call from Stu Krasnoff about a
suspicious-looking grebe at Dean’s Cove. It turned out to be a Red-necked
Grebe. And present for I-don’t-know-how- many years, the Lesser Black-backed
Gull was easily located straight out from the jetty.

Bob McGuire