Tim and I made a quick trip around the lake today, checking points north of where we were yesterday (skipping Myers and Hog Hole).

On the way north, we found a small group of HORNED LARKS on the farm fields a block east of 34B in King Ferry south of 90. I forget the name of the road, but it goes through a big dairy farm. The water was too rough and the conditions too windy for scoping from the Aurora boathouse. We found two GADWALL and three GREEN-WINGED TEAL on Factory Road Pond. The teal were tucked into the shrubbery on the lake end of the pond. There was a large group of REDHEAD, a few BUFFLEHEAD, and two AMERICAN WIGEON on Mill Spring Pond. The lake north of Union Springs was completely frozen.

We looked for the Snowy Owl around the Finger Lakes airport but could not find it. We did not attempt Dean's Cove because the driveway looked icy. In Sheldrake, we found lots of BUFFLEHEAD with a few GOLDENEYE mixed in. We found one pair of RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, and a very nice-looking male WHITE-WINGED SCOTER.

Anne Marie Johnson