pictures.  Then I had to go do work.  Later that night I was excited to find
out that I had encountered a Wandering Tattler (#501 in the US for me;
California Thrasher was my last new one at #502 and California Condor had been
#489 ).  I did send Brian and a couple other CA birders a couple pictures for
confirmation.  But, I was thrilled and felt a real sense of discovery because I
encountered the bird on my own and had a half hour to really observe it by
myself.  I know that is a very different experience than the ones desired by
other birders.  And, I totally support Dave’s point of view and do encourage
others to share their sightings if they want to.  Just please don’t expect me
to want to 😊!

Thanks Dave for stimulating this discussion.

Jody

Jody W. Enck, PhD
Public Engagement in Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology