4 Merlin:  How nice it is to see two pair of Merlin in downtown Ithaca
this morning! One pair in the block NW of N Titus and Plain Sts, and
another between Cascadilla Creek-Court St.-Tioga St. in "backyard" of
Finger Lakes Land Trust office.
FISH CROW: There is a tall White Pine just off S. Titus to the east of
what was A Taste of Thai. For a couple weeks there has been a lot of
Fish Crow activity in that tree, including two flying into the tree
almost at once this morning and then staying there.

Ramble

I would like to monitor the nesting success of urban raptors, i.e., how
long the birds incubate successfully and how long the pair feed
nestlings, but I'm being befuddled by the nests of the Merlins. This is
complicated by not wanting to walk into someone's backyard with a
telescope and binoculars at 6:30 in the morning. So far, the residents
on this block I have encountered include the former director of Env.
Studies at IC, a former employee at the Lab, an environmental studies
graduate, and a former instructor on environmental energy policies at
IC, which was all well and good, until I met a woman whose house was
robbed a couple weeks ago. I am not uniformly welcome. It is awkward
trying to get a good view of potential nests but avoiding wandering
around outside someone's bedroom window.

Bob first posted about hearing a Merlin in the block to the NE of Court
and Tioga Streets. This morning, ~7:15, a male Merlin flew in with a
House Sparrow in its talons, landed in a non-leafed out deciduous tree
providing a great view and proceeded to pluck it. In about two minutes
it was joined by the female and I thought how nice it would be if they
shared. No such thing. The male flew off NE and appeared to circle to
the north. I found the marvelous walkway along Cascadilla Creek and
walked along it continually looking back southward where I lost sight of
the male until I glanced almost overhead looking northward. Just across
the creek the pair of Merlin were sitting on a branch with the male
carrying the prey with joggers going by nearly underneath. Again I
thought what a nice pair-bonding experience it would be to share. The
male then proceeded to fly away to the west carrying all of the pretty
much plucked clean prey and the female sat in the tree for several
minutes for as long as I had patience. I expect the FLLT staff to eat
lunch on the delightful walkway adjacent to the creek about a half-block
from their office and report back about finding the nest.

The pair in the block NW of N. Titus and Plain Sts. continues to defy me
about where their nest is. I saw both members of the pair again in the
same block this morning.

Cheers,

John Confer