I think today's shorebirding trip was a success. About 40 people came. The
weather was great. I only noticed 1 mosquito, but we saw 11 species of
shorebirds. I talked about Tringa and Calidris genus shapes and about using the
relative size of different species as clues. ID problems we talked about
included: Greater v Lesser Yellowlegs; Least v Semipalmated Sandpipers; Stilt
Sandpiper v Lesser Yellowlegs; Short-billed v Long-billed Dowitcher;
Semipalmated Plover v Killdeer. The additional shorebirds we saw were Spotted
Sandpiper and Pectoral Sandpiper.

Alas, no phalaropes. However we saw multiple Green Herons. The highlight surely
was the flock of sixteen Sandhill Cranes which arrived, flying nearly directly
over us to land in Puddler, to be joined shortly by a bugling duo from
Knox-Marsellus while the third member of that family stayed behind.

Thanks to the birders for showing up and sharing questions, scopes, and
expertise, particularly Jay McGowan, Bob McGuire, Garys Chapin & Kohlenberg,
and others I was too distracted to notice or whose names I'm forgetting or
don't know. Thanks to Montezuma staff, particularly Linda Ziemba for arranging
the buffet for the birds, and Andrea Van Beusichem for setting up the field
trip program, and for the birds for being so obliging.