Dave, thanks for sharing your encounter with the List, because this potentially
affects anyone who intends to go birding at Stewart Park or in the nearby
areas, if this kind of activity is seasonally permitted from such a widely and
publicly used space.

Does the Cayuga Bird Club have an official position on this and other past
similar situations at the South shore of Cayuga Lake? As Laura suggested,
perhaps a letter (from the Cayuga Bird Club) to the City of Ithaca
representative(s) whose area(s) includes the disputed region, a letter to the
Mayor, and a discussion placed on the agenda during one of the City
Administration public meetings, would help clarify the City’s stance on this
issue and possibly put forth an opportunity for official change in the future?

I believe that we, as birders, are not all blatantly opposed to hunting, but I
do think there’s a time and place for that sport – Stewart Park, and the South
end of Cayuga Lake in general, does not seem like the right place at any time.

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

On Nov 13, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Laura Stenzler