Below is a quick & dirty summary from this evening's compilation of the 1
January 2016 Ithaca Christmas Bird Count (CBC). Some numbers (especially those
marked *) may later be refined if it seems birds were counted by multiple
parties of observers.

First is the list of species which were found, five at a time for easy
tallying. "HIGH" means this is the highest number Ithaca has ever recorded on a
CBC. For any species only found by a single party of observers I try to credit
the observer(s) and give the location. Some of that information is still a bit
sketchy, so please fill me in. Also please let me know if you think I screwed
up anything on this list.

Following the list of bird species which WERE found is a list of species which
were NOT found today, but may yet show up (or have already shown up but I
haven't heard about) during COUNT WEEK. If these are found, they can boost the
total of species. So, speak up if you found them in the 3 days before the count
(December 29, 30, or 31) or if you find them in the 3 days after the count
(January 2, 3, or 4) within the count circle (15 mile diameter centered on
Mount Pleasant - don't worry, there's a map somewhere with that circle drawn on
it, but I don't have it handy just now).

--Dave Nutter

WHAT WAS FOUND

30,867*SNOW GOOSE - HIGH

 9,266 CANADA GOOSE

     6 GADWALL

    37 AMERICAN BLACK DUCK

   763 MALLARD

 5

     3 GREEN-WINGED TEAL - HIGH

    27 REDHEAD

     3 RING-NECKED DUCK

     1 GREATER SCAUP - Ken Rosenberg, Bill Howe  Stewart Pk

     5 LESSER SCAUP - Ken Rosenberg, Bill Howe  Stewart Pk

10

    18 LONG-TAILED DUCK - HIGH Kevin McGowan  E Cayuga Lake

    16 BUFFLEHEAD

    63 COMMON GOLDENEYE

    52 HOODED MERGANSER - HIGH

    58 COMMON MERGANSER

15

     1 RED-BREASTED MERGANSER - Jay McGowan  East Shore Pk

     2 RING-NECKED PHEASANT

     5 RUFFED GROUSE

   150 WILD TURKEY

     1 RED-THROATED LOON - Kevin McGowan  E Cayuga Lake

20

     9 COMMON LOON - TIED HIGH

     1 PIED-BILLED GREBE - Scott Sutcliffe  Treman Marina?

     3 HORNED GREBE - Ken Rosenberg, Bill Howe  Stewart Pk

     2 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT

     1 GREAT BLUE HERON - Mark Witmer  Ithaca Reservoir

25

    59 TURKEY VULTURE - HIGH

     9*BALD EAGLE - HIGH

     2 NORTHERN HARRIER

     6 SHARP-SHINNED HAWK

    15 COOPER'S HAWK

30

   149 RED-TAILED HAWK

     1 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK - Joe Wetmore, Karen Edelstein  Lansing Center Trail

     2 AMERICAN KESTREL

     1 MERLIN - Scott Haber Lansing Village Greenway?

     3 PEREGRINE FALCON - HIGH

35

    54 AMERICAN COOT - LOW

 2,019 RING-BILLED GULL

   155 HERRING GULL

    30 GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL

   992 ROCK PIGEON

40

   563 MOURNING DOVE

    18 EASTERN SCREECH-OWL

    12 GREAT HORNED OWL

     6 BARRED OWL - TIED HIGH

     1 SHORT-EARED OWL - Colleen Richards, Kathy Strickland  Scofield Rd &
Pleasant Valley Rd

45

     6 BELTED KINGFISHER

   238 RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER

     2 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER

   397 DOWNY WOODPECKER

   159 HAIRY WOODPECKER

50

    10 NORTHERN FLICKER

    54 PILEATED WOODPECKER

     1 NORTHERN SHRIKE - Jill Vaughan  Triphammer Terrace & Hillcrest Rd

   985 BLUE JAY

 1,706 AMERICAN CROW

55

    14 FISH CROW - Kevin McGowan  Cornell compost

    28 COMMON RAVEN

   113 HORNED LARK

 2,728 BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE

   521 TUFTED TITMOUSE

60

    28 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH

   479 WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH

    23 BROWN CREEPER

    30 CAROLINA WREN

     1 WINTER WREN - Ken Rosenberg, Bill Howe  Jetty Woods

65

    45 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET

     1 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET - Kevin McGowan  Portland Point Rd

   126 EASTERN BLUEBIRD

     1 HERMIT THRUSH - Connie O'Brien  Leonard Rd & Bald Hill School Rd

    45 AMERICAN ROBIN

70

    11 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD

 2,864 EUROPEAN STARLING

   330 CEDAR WAXWING

     1 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER - Kevin McGowan  Portland Point Rd

   476 AMERICAN TREE SPARROW

75

     1 FIELD SPARROW - John Fitzpatrick  upper Cascadilla Creek

     1 FOX SPARROW - Tom Schulenberg  Liddell Lab pond, Freese Rd

    60 SONG SPARROW

    12 SWAMP SPARROW

   114 WHITE-THROATED SPARROW

80

 1,185 DARK-EYED JUNCO

   372 NORTHERN CARDINAL

     3 RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD

     1 COMMON GRACKLE - Lisa, Bill, & Sandy Podulka  Caroline Depot Rd &
Lackawanna Rd

    29 BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD

85

    15 PURPLE FINCH

   525 HOUSE FINCH

   944 AMERICAN GOLDFINCH

   376 HOUSE SPARROW

89

Also noted during the compilation:

SWAN, SP (presumed TUNDRA?) already reported for Count Week

2 Accipiter Sp

120 gull Sp

WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, 29 Dec (COUNT WEEK!) Stefhan Ohlström & Franziska Bayer
Meckenberg Rd

MORE SPECIES TO FIND IN COUNT WEEK - Dec 29-31, Jan 2-4

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE

ROSS'S GOOSE

CACKLING GOOSE

AMERICAN WIGEON

NORTHERN SHOVELER

NORTHERN PINTAIL

CANVASBACK

SURF SCOTER

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER

BLACK SCOTER

RUDDY DUCK

RED-NECKED GREBE

NORTHERN GOSHAWK

KILLDEER

WILSON'S SNIPE

AMERICAN WOODCOCK

BONAPARTE'S GULL

ICELAND GULL

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL

GLAUCOUS GULL

SNOWY OWL

LONG-EARED OWL

NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL

EASTERN PHOEBE

GRAY CATBIRD

AMERICAN PIPIT

BOHEMIAN WAXWING

LAPLAND LONGSPUR

SNOW BUNTING

SAVANNAH SPARROW

EASTERN MEADOWLARK

COMMON REDPOLL

PINE SISKIN

Good luck, and may you each have another great year of birding!