Peter,
On the afternoon of 5 January Ann Mitchell & I saw a flock of about 25
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS, males & females, on the shoulder of Fenner Rd near
NYS-34B, which is in the northwest corner of the Town of Lansing in Tompkins
County. They were not present during a couple of more recent visits. They were
first-of-year for both of us. I think the cowbirds wander. Several MOURNING
DOVES were also on the road shoulder that day, but they flushed separately and
did remain in the area. We also saw a few HORNED LARKS elsewhere along Fenner
Road that day, and today we saw some just north of Fenner on Davis Rd.
--Dave Nutter
PS - Apologies to those who found this message redundant. After I first sent it
to CayugaBirds-L I realized it was in the form which turns to garbage on some
people’s email (including Peter’s!) and on the digests and archives, so I this
time it is in a form that I hope is legible all those ways. I’m trying to get
in the habit of sending messages to Cayugabirds in this more universally
readable way, but sometimes I forget.