I’ve lived in the same place for 23 years, started seriously keeping track of
the yard birds about 8-9 years ago and can state the vultures have ‘moved in’
even over the last decade. I don’t remember ever seeing them prior to that
(wasn’t watching, but they are pretty obvious).

As others know, the pines at Asbury Cemetery and just east of that are a
favorite roost for at least one family group for the last few years, and are
then joined by others on occasion.

I mentioned the crowd a couple nights ago, and last night, there were 24, NOT
including white-wing, so the group membership is dynamic, but I’m quite sure
there is one long-term resident group of about 5-6.

I have also been impressed by the low high-speed swooping of these ‘locals’ vs
the high flight of migrants.
I had reported a year or so back a close encounter of AmCrows attacking
vultures: first time (and so far, only) where they were trying to hit the TUVU.

We have about 10 AMCrows in the neighbrhood this year; most I’ve seen for
several years. At first, they appeared to be 2 groups marking different trees
as their own territories, but I’ve since seen them all gather in the neighbor’s
tall basswood. Have not yet traced them to a nest tree but there are some tall
pines just to the east of Triphammer, just to the north of Horvath where they
might have a nest.

On occasion, the crows called more and flew near, but not at, the low-flying
TUVUs. I’ll watch for more ‘attacks’ maybe after crows have eggs...

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Information/Data Manager; IT Support
Bioacoustics Research Program