Around 11 this morning I arrived at Harris Park in Cayuga to find Chris T-H and
company with scopes aimed at buoy 49 about two miles away showing two bumps
perched at its base: the bigger a Great Black-Backed Gull, the smaller the
Brown Booby, I was told. Cool, I shrugged with a mix of awe and incredulity, as
I proceeded to pump up my inflatable "kayak" and started paddling into the
wind, light but enough to make the journey choppy. In about an hour I arrived
near the bouy and began snapping away at the brown booby resting next to the
great black-backed gull. The potential mistake I made here was sitting in the
navigational channel, which caused an oncoming motorboat to steer away from me
and thus very close to that buoy, trailing a wake that swayed the bouy so much
that the booby had to raise its wings to maintain balance, but the two birds
remained unfazed. Perhaps the big swell reminded the booby of home.

Anyhow, I positioned myself to drift downwind slowly to about 20-30 yards from
the bouy and snapped away, the birds still relaxed and unalarmed, though
certainly keeping their eyes on me. Soon I was downwind of then with a million
photos (actually, "only" 680), and I paddled back towards Harris Park. I soon
found myself very seasick from staring through the camera on the choppy waters,
so I just lay down on my boat and took a nap in the pleasant afternoon sun and
breeze, drifting ever so slowly back to Harris Park. At one point the loud
rumble and horn signaled the passage of a train - this I think was the cause of
the bird flushing (I was too seasick to scan with binoculars from the rocky
boat; I also didn't think that it might flush, though in retrospect I now
remember trains being a bird flusher on at least two other occasions).

I posted a few photos on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/suan.yong/posts/10210844942937601

Suan