I had been out of town, so late this morning was my first chance to look for
the refound Brown Booby. I was successful. It was on the green channel marker
located at 42.88887,-76.72518. I first went to the location many have described
as "Townline Road" but some have had trouble locating because there are
Townline Roads along many township borders. To be more informative, this refers
to the Aurelius-Springport Townline Road next to the railroad crossing of
NYS-90 north of Union Springs.

HOWEVER, going west from NYS-90 this is not a road. As I was pointedly informed
by the owner, Steve Talcott, it is a PRIVATE DRIVEWAY (in fact there is a small
sign to that effect near NYS-90). He does not appreciate his land being taken
for granted as if it were a public park. He would appreciate being politely
asked for permission to bird from there. His number is 315-730-3571. Although
the Booby was not being particularly exciting or obvious I showed it to him and
explained how special it is. He granted permission by phone for a group of
birders from Cornell, and welcomed them, and when I left I believe we were on
good terms. Please don't screw it up.

I stayed for over 3 hours hoping to see it fly and hunt. It didn't. The light
got worse. I took a break to get food from the Nice-n-Easy, and drive to Lower
Lake Road. The bird was still on the platform of the channel marker and
remained there for another 3 1/2 hours including sunset. Lazy thing. I guess it
did all its feeding and most of its preening earlier in the morning. It did
stand up and stretch a few times, so I know it has proper wings. And it
defecated several times, so presumably it has been eating. So far I have no
reason to believe it is unhealthy. It just surprised me by how sedentary it
was. Perhaps that's how it evaded detection for almost 3 weeks.
--Dave Nutter