We just did the bird count compilation. Below are some preliminary
highlights based on today's numbers and comparison with data from all
previous 54 years.

90 species were seen today. This was the same as last year.

We observed 41875 individuals, up from our 10-year average of 37638.

We have 1 count week species confirmed (Glaucous gull). Last year we had
10 count week species.

We had these high counts:

  * Bufflehead: 27; previous high was 21
  * Hooded Merganser: 67; previous high was 52
  * Ruddy Duck: 30; previous was 23
  * Double-crested Cormorant: 7; previous was 6

The only bird never seen before on the count day was the Ross's Goose.
This was a count week species in 2012.
A House Wren was reported in area 7, only the second time one has been
reported on the day (1994).

A few notable misses:

  * Canvasback (also missed last year, but was previously 48/54)
  * Northern Harrier; first miss since 1988, previously 43/54.

And finally a few that we got by the skin of our teeth (1 individual,
but where we were expecting more):

  * Purple Finch
  * Swamp Sparrow
  * Yellow-rumped Warbler

I'll post more details as these numbers get double-checked and confirmed.

-Paul

--
Paul Anderson, VP of Engineering, GrammaTech, Inc.
531 Esty St., Ithaca, NY 14850