As I walked south from my place an hour ago, I heard what I thought was the
call of a Northern Flicker. When I finally located the bird, it was a female
PILEATED WOODPECKER quietly calling while flapping awkwardly, trying to hang
onto flimsy grape vines while eating the wild grapes!
The call was not "maniacal" as we often hear from Pileateds, just rather quiet.
I wondered why she was calling as she ate grapes.

Glad to see her again, as I have spotted her or a sister a few times this
winter. This is good, since yesterday a handsome male Pileated Woodpecker was
foraging in my back yard!

This also reminded me that we should always leave wild grapevines alive,
because they provide good bird food in the dead of winter. I have seen a lot of
Robins eating wild grapes this winter! Up in my woods I have some huge (5" in
diameter) grape vine "trunks" climbing into the trees. I believe those are
actually left over from domestic grape vines someone had planted there on
mounds of earth decades ago, now surrounded by 3rd growth woods. Glad that I
have left them, even tho they kill a few trees - which also provide bird
benefits after a while!

Donna

Donna Scott
Lansing Station Road