I found a couple of target birds this weekend (BROWN THRASHER at entrance
of Edwards Lake Cliff Preserve on Sunday, three HERMIT THRUSHES along the
East Trail in Sapsucker Woods on Saturday).   But the best moments came
from common species doing uncommon things.

* Along the Woodleton Boardwalk on Saturday, I watched a female American
Robin repeatedly issuing an unfamiliar  * kheeeeeeee *.  Later I found a
study saying that robins make this sound specifically when they see aerial
predators.  This surprised me because I felt certain that I had triggered
the call, given how this bird and her mate fixed their gaze on me the whole
time.  I flatter myself that a bird might think I’m a predator, but I am
100 percent sure that no one would ever mistake me as aerial.  So maybe the
paper’s conclusion is wrong.  Or maybe there was a hawk or owl perched
nearby, seen by the birds but not by me.

It was all very mysterious and enlightening.  But mainly that sound was
just beautiful – long, luminous, extremely high, exquisitely pianissimo.
It was as if she were a violinist coaxing a pristine final note out of her
E string, fragile and tender and masterly, while I listened from my seat in
a hushed concert hall.

* Several of the eponymous Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers of Sapsucker Woods
have found fantastic resonant substrates to bang on.  Maybe the best is a
hollow cylinder of a former tree near the East Trail gate.  Today a male
had been knocking loudly here for a while, when a white-throated sapsucker
with a brownish back flew in to the top of the trunk, about six feet
above.  The white-throated bird double-tapped, paused for a long time, then
double-tapped again.  The red-throated male stayed silent and still, eyeing
the bird above, then let out another full stuttering, slowing cadence.  The
white-throated bird responded with a full decelerating phrase.  Then the
first bird chased the second one out of view.

At the time I wasn’t sure what all this meant. I knew that female
sapsuckers have white throats, but I didn’t remember whether first-spring
male sapsuckers ever also have white throats.  I also wasn’t sure if female
sapsuckers ever drum.  As I watched, I thought that maybe the red-throated
male might be similarly confused.  Was this a rival male, not yet in his
full colors?  Or was it an interested potential mate?

A little research reveals that the most likely answer is neither.
Apparently the white throat does definitively indicate a female.  Females
do sometimes drum.  So when this female flew in, the male was probably
thinking, “Either she wants me, or she wants this drumming surface for
herself.”  Too bad for him this time.

* The green pond by the shelter on the East Trail always seems to have Wood
Ducks in it.  Today I managed to approach very slowly without flushing one
female.  She drifted in the open water, issuing single “hwaak” notes.
Eventually she flew up to a branch, where she bowed forward a few times and
issued an unfamiliar, more forced sound.  More reading indicates that these
vocalizations signal availability to potential mates.  She did seem a
little lonely.

Finally, an off-topic note – the trails of the Edwards Lake Cliff Preserve
were rife with big beautiful snails on Sunday morning.  Miyoko and I found
more than 150 of them without even looking very widely or carefully.  As
Miyoko said, it was like an Easter egg hunt, but even better.

Mark Chao