On April 2 there was a single anonymous eBird report from northwestern Tompkins
County on private land not close to public roads. The observers said they heard
a sound like Henslow's based on comparisons after the fact, but did not
actually describe it, seemed to be unfamiliar with the song, and did not
actually see any bird. I am not aware of any effort to corroborate it by eBird
staff who may have been able to communicate with the observer. Such a report
may not seem like much to go on, but it sounded promising to me because the
habitat (field not mown for several years), the time of day (dusk), and the
season (just when Henslow's Sparrows were first reported in their normal
Midwest range) all sounded right. I did not include this report in the First
Records list because of the lack of detail or corroboration. (Please,
everybody, whenever eBird asks for details about a rare bird you are reporting,
include actual descriptions!)
--Dave Nutter