At least one Broad-winged Hawk fledgling has been around my yard for several
days, calling to be fed. Species that breed down in the valley below me have
begun making (post-breeding) appearances up here: Kingfishers, Great Crested
Flycatchers, Yellow-throated Vireo. I've noticed Wood Peewees moving around
too. The local Barred Owls are moderately vocal.

No bears have visited me this season, so I'm still feeding sunflower seeds, and
like others, I have had a flush of young Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Purple
Finches (and Towhees), the produce I guess of nests that were situated close
just to take advantage of this resource. I got so used to the calls of young
RBGBs that their absence was really noticeable when I visited Labrador Pond and
Clark Reservation on Wednesday afternoon. No sunflower feeders at either
location, that I could see, but the swamp milkweed is really gorgeous now, and
monarchs obviously love it! The little Nature Center at Clark Reservation has
such a lovely garden that I was sorry there was no one around to compliment.

A few days ago I scouted for a practical (if arduous) route by which I could
get my kayak out to the open water in Michigan Hollow Marsh. Probably won't
yield any surprises, but if I don't do it this year, when the the water is so
high, will I _ever_?

-Geo