This morning a male adult and young RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER landed on our silver maple. At one point the young bird pecked very rapidly, and with great ferocity, while the adult sat calmly within a couple feet. After its vigorous rapping, I can imagine the young bird saying something like, "Okay! Now what am I suppose to do!?" It then proceeded to walk up the trunk and right over top the adult, who didn't seem to mind. If only we humans could show such patience with our young!
Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes