Yesterday morning (3 Jan) I was driving an empty taxi through the Town of
Newfield on Elmira Road (NYS-13). South of Test Road is a marsh along the
headwaters of the West Branch of Cayuga Inlet. The marsh is currently frozen,
of course. Near there I saw 2 black birds fly east across the road toward some
tall trees in a yard on the hillside. Their tails were too long for Starlings.
I pulled over and, scanning with binoculars, found several birds in the
treetops. With a hand-held scope through my partially open window I saw 2 male
and 1 female RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS. The temperature was 8°F, and I was not
expecting my first 2018 sighting of this species to be there. I bet the fence
at that house hid some popular feeders.

- - Dave Nutter