Since my Jan 4th post, I've heard from several others telling me of kingfishers
in the basin, including 2 at Dryden Lake and one on Stevenson Road a few days
ago. Hopefully these birds managed get out of the area before this intense
freeze set in.

Also, I asked a fish-expert friend what could be available for a kingfisher to
catch, presuming any open water, and his reply was that of course there ARE
fish in that water since they don't go dormant or hide in the mud in winter,
but they are moving VERY slowly. He also reminded me that the (unfrozen) water
temperature would be higher than the air temperature. Whether slower-moving
fish are easier or more difficult to catch (the latter because maybe
kingfishers find their catch by noticing movement?) is interesting to
contemplate.

Stay warm!
Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography