I went to the game farm today to census crows and try to find some year birds
(like Black Vulture). I was looking in the active pheasant pen at the NW corner
of farm where the Black Vultures have been hanging out. I didn't see Black
Vultures, but I noticed a RED-THROATED LOON sitting in the snow in the field
north of the farm! Ten feet into Dryden!

Although the loon made a pitiful effort to "run" away from me, it was pretty
simple to wrap it up in a blanket and pick it up. Its wings and feet were
functioning well, and I didn't see any blood, injuries, or abrasions on it, so
I decided to take it to Cayuga Lake and release it.

It did not understand, of course, anything I was trying to do for it, but it
knew what the lake was. As I was carrying it down to the shore at East Shore
Park, it started lunging forward in my hands and making running motions with
its feet. It swam away quickly when I released it, dove, came up, flapped, and
started preening.

Not the way I thought my day was going to start.

I have a photo in my checklist at
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41675570.

Kevin