So the argument about earlier spring weather locally does not apply to our
birds based on this long running dataset. Of course, this is just locally. Not
speaking to what is happening globally!
    On Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 11:13:11 PM EST, psaracin
<psara...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

 Sandy, I, too, have heard titmice and cardinals. I believe such behavior is
more tied to hormonal responses brought on by increased daylength but am no
ornitholigist.....

-------- Original message --------From: Sandy Wold <sandra.w...@gmail.com>
Date: 2/13/18 9:56 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Upstate NY Birding digest
<cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu> Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Bird Signs of Earlier
Spring?
Maybe this is obvious to everyone on this list with people reporting the call
of a cardinal or "raven with nest material" in February.  But I also have been
noticing sounds of spring (cardinal, titmouse, Carolina Wren, ...), crows
checking out tree tops and pairing, crows bombing raptors,... since February
1st (maybe even second or third week of January?).  I meant to write dates and
temps in my notebook this year, but didn't.
It seems like all of this is happening a month or two early, am I wrong? Are
there any scientific studies that show what triggers the timing of these
territorial behaviors? Could it be a certain number of days above freezing?  I
know the media talks about the growing seasons lengthening and things blooming
earlier,... but I haven't seen anything written on bird nesting behavior.  Just
curious, thanks!Sandy
---
Climate Change Action: 30-day Ithaca VEGAN CHALLENGE (pledge for Earth Day 2018)
No-blame, no-shame support here: https://www.facebook. com/groups/
IthacaVeganChallenge/
Less meat = Less heat, 4 min. video  www.youtube.com/watch? v=lLhEmGx8YQE
---
Sandy WoldAuthor/Originator of Cayuga Basin Bioregion Map
(available at Wegmans (near ATM), Autumn Leaves, Cornell Plantations, and
Ithaca Visitor's Bureau)https://www.linkedin.com/in/ sandy-wold-877114a7/
https://sites.google.com/site/ cayugabioregionmap/about- author-and-artist
Information Subscribe, Configuration and Leave Archives: The Mail Archive
Surfbirds BirdingOnThe.Net Please submit your observations to eBird! ----
Cayugabirds-L List Info: Welcome and Basics Rules and Information Subscribe,