-------- Original message --------From: david nicosia <daven1...@yahoo.com>
Date: 2/14/18  8:30 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: Sandy Wold <sandra.w...@gmail.com>,
Upstate NY Birding digest <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>, psaracin
<psara...@rochester.rr.com> Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Bird Signs of Earlier
Spring?

            I have heard Cardinals, titmice, chickadees, and carolina wrens
sing on clear, sunny mornings with light winds and temperatures near zero in
February for years. Plus, looking at the long term temperature records for
Ithaca NY (from the Cornell U. site), surprisingly there has been no long term
trend in temperatures, even in the winter. I checked Jan-March, no trend and
annually, which was slightly negative(probably not statistically significant).
This means that from the late 1800s to present, there has been no warming and
possibly even slight cooling at Ithaca! There has been a warming trend since
the 1960s, which was the coolest part of the 20th century. Many people are
comparing today's temperatures locally to the 60s.  If you look before that
time period it was warmer and for some locations, like Ithaca, slightly warmer
than today. So the argument about earlier spring weather locally does not apply
to our birds based on this long running dataset. Of course, this is just
locally. Not speaking to what is happening globally!

                        On Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 11:13:11 PM EST,