It's not unheard of. We have an established barn owl breeding on Owasco
Lake. We have heard it and seen it's shape, heard begging babies and two
owls calling at the same time during summer nights for at least 8 years. If
there is successful nesting going on so close, it seems reasonable that the
birds are also in the Cayuga basin.
Just my two cents.
Maryfaith