Yesterday afternoon, Ann Mitchell, Gary Kohlenberg & I went to Dryden Lake
seeking the RED-NECKED GREBES which Jay reported. The grebes were together in
the middle of the lake, mostly sleeping, but they did wake up, and preen a bit.
They are distinctive enough to ID even when asleep, though, by their large size
and typical grebe sleeping posture with the head resting on the middle of the
back. My guess is that with north winds continuing, these birds may remain
awhile.

The only other waterfowl were an expected raft of CANADA GEESE, about 40
scattered COMMON MERGANSERS, and one each of male HOODED MERGANSER and male
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. The last species may be uncommon on Dryden Lake. I also
glimpsed an adult BALD EAGLE, which I gather is not unusual there in recent
years. Anyway the lake was ice-free and open for business, and worth checking
during migration if you are in the area. The distance and waves there don’t
hide waterbirds so much as on Cayuga Lake.
- - Dave Nutter