None of these birds are new for the basin, but still there seems to have been
an influx.

This afternoon I biked to Stewart Park on the Cayuga Waterfront Trail. At the
west end of the suspension bridge between the end of Pier Rd and Renwick
Wildwood I saw an Eastern Phoebe. I was pleased but not surprised. I think they
nest under that end of that bridge. It flew across to Renwick which is also a
classic place to find an early Phoebe in the trees along Fall Creek. I
continued and saw 2 more Phoebes crossing Fall Creek back and forth between
Stewart Park and Jetty Woods. I had to think about whether the 3 sightings
could have been 1 bird, but I concluded not. When I left Stewart Park I went
back to Renwick and walked the Fall Creek trail from the boardwalk to the
railroad bridge. Near the boardwalk I saw six different Phoebes at once in the
trees at various heights. I think they were finding small insects on the
flowers of the maple trees. Farther upstream near the Fuertes concrete arch, I
saw another Phoebe low in the brush beside the trail. I also went out to Jetty
Woods and saw a Phoebe low in a pine tree nearby on Newman Golf Course.  I
figure I saw 10 Eastern Phoebes total, most were not near obvious nest sites,
and none were vocal. It sure seemed like a wave of migration.

A Bonaparte’s Gull was first reported by Kevin McGowan on Dryden Lake on 30
March. Today, 1 April, was my first encounter: several were flying low over the
mud bar just offshore of Stewart Park and apparently picking minute food items
from the water. One rested among the Herring & Ring-billed Gulls on the mud
bar, and several rested on the lake. I later walked out to the White Lighthouse
where I tallied my maximum: 17, mostly resting on the lake. Only one that I saw
was in breeding plumage, 1 was in transition, 1 was an immature, and the rest
were winter plumage adults.

While scanning from the White Lighthouse I noticed first one, then several
Horned Grebes in breeding plumage to the west of the Red Lighthouse breakwater.
I kept scanning while trying to stay in the lee of the White Lighthouse. Mainly
from the Red Lighthouse breakwater to beyond the piling cluster I tallied 33
Horned Grebes, only 2 of which were in winter plumage. The rest were in
breeding plumage. I also had a crappy look far to the north among the Horned
Grebes of 1 similar sized (small) breeding plumage grebe whose neck was black
and back was reddish and I think must have been an Eared Grebe. I recommend
looking under conditions which are less windy to reduce scope vibration and
waves in the way. Also be prepared to bluff your way past 4 pairs of
territorial Canada Geese. There were also 2 Pied-billed Grebes much closer to
the east of the White Lighthouse. I don’t know whether these were the same
birds which I had seen earlier in and near Fall Creek.

The number of Double-crested Cormorants has grown to at least 16 on & near the
snag in the lake to the east of the White Lighthouse Jetty.

I also saw my first-of-year Field Sparrow beside Pier Rd with some Juncos &
Song Sparrows (many of which have arrived lately) alongside the weedy,
leaf-strewn fenceline of the DPW storage area next to the piles of wood chips.

- - Dave Nutter