My granddaughter and I counted 65 toads in the water along our pond’s dike this
morning, mostly pairs in amplectus. We guessed that we’d missed quite a few
that were hidden in the overhanging herbage, so maybe 100 toads in all. They
make quite a chorus!

This afternoon I was watching a Crow on the dike, and got a look at its method
for catching toads. It landed a couple feet back from the water’s edge, and
walked slowly through the grasses, brambles and dead stalks, right up to the
edge. Then it reached down and plucked out a pair of clasping toads, a big
female with a smaller male on top. Quickly the Crow hopped backwards with a
wing lift, secured its grasp on the prey, and then flew back with the massive
load about six feet into the mowed strip, where it could proceed to kill the
two toads without risk of their escaping into the water. At that point I had to
leave, but I returned half an hour later to see what might remain. In past
years I would have found a corpse on its back with its belly torn open, and
many more like it up and down the dike. This year the corpses are not there,
but when I reached the location of the kill, there was a telling amount of
blood on the grass. So this tradition of toad-killing at my pond has not
ceased, it has only evolved a new wrinkle: now the Crows retire with the kill
to some less-frequented location!

-Geo

Geo Kloppel
Tupper Road