Thanks Suan. The sounds of the planet coming to Life!I heard peepers last night
near the intersection of Rt. 14 and Cross Rd. a bit north of Geneva NY.Sent
from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Suan Hsi Yong <suan.y...@gmail.com>
Date: 3/26/19  12:13 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
<cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu> Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Lesser-Heard Sounds
of Spring Sunday afternoon I sat at Stewart Park looking out at the relative
low bird count. Of interest were two American Wigeons foraging "somewhat" close
(I was hoping they'd get closer for better photos, though they never did), and
11 Northern Pintails flying back and forth trying to decide whether to land
(again, I had my camera settings poised for them to land right in front of me,
but instead they decided to continue north and away). At one point two male
Green-Winged Teals appeared, and coincident with their appearance I started
hearing short "prrt" calls, reminiscent of tree frog. I checked my Sibley App
and sure enough, they were indeed from the GW Teals, a vocalization I'd never
heard, or maybe just never noticed, before. (The recording "male lands and
peeps NE" has a sequence of them, whereas what I heard were single "peep"s
about ten seconds apart, not sure if coming from one of the birds or both in
turn.)Yesterday afternoon while walking around Commonland, a Cooper's Hawk flew
to the top of a tree and sat vocalizing for a while, with a "mek mek mek" call
I don't think I've heard before. It was reminiscent of Common Gallinule, but in
a falcon-like repetitive pattern. The only other Cooper vocalization I remember
was at Steve Kress' house a number of years back, which was a single longer
call was reminiscent of sapsucker.Also, heard one Pine Siskin singing yesterday
morning outside my house, but had no binoculars.Suan

        Welcome and Basics
        Rules and Information
        Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
        Archives: