Dave,

Diane, Susan Evans-Pond and I were headed back to Ithaca after birding with the
Campus Club Bird Study Group at MNWR and we stopped at South Spring Pool to
check what might be out on the pool.  As we were standing on the wooden
platform we saw two Yellow-rumped Warblers just to the west of the platform in
some small trees right by the water.  Yellow-rumps were singing around us, and
then we heard something different.  I thought "Chestnut-sided like", and Diane
thought  "Yellow Warbler".   We walked back onto the trail and walked a few
feet further down the path and saw movement up in a tree on the south side of
the trail.  We quickly saw a bird up in a tree right near the trail, and were
wowed by the brilliant yellow throat.  We watched this bird for 4-5 minutes.
It did not sing, but foraged on limbs and moved around the tree trunk at one
point. It flew a couple times to nearby trees but we were able to follow it
easily.  The black on the face, appearing triangular shaped under the eye -
with the black stripe extending down the neck was very striking.   Looking at
the bird from below and as it moved around it was very striped on the
sides/flanks.  It was grey above on the back.  I could not see what markings it
had underneath it's tail.   We talked about what we were seeing and we finally
left the bird, as our phones and books were in the car.   What we observed all
pointed to a Yellow-throated Warbler.

Gladys

I just saw this notice from eBird, but nothing on CayugaBirds-L or the text
rare bird alert yet. Nice description by Diane Traina of the Yellow-throated
Warbler at the NYS-89 entrance to South Spring Pool at Montezuma NWR. (It’s
shocking how many people don’t actually describe the rarities they report.)
This is a species we don’t see every year in the Cayuga Lake Basin, although
Dave Kennedy also found one 2 days ago next to Seneca Lake north of Willard
Town Park. An invasion! I hope this one sticks around and is easier to refind.

- - Dave Nutter

Begin forwarded message: