Hi,

I've been tied up with other responsibilities this year and haven't been
able to bird much but yesterday evening I was able to go out and got
past the 1/4 mile mark on the Lake Trail for the first time in many
months.  I was expecting to find some migrating warblers in the brush &
small shrub/trees east of the trail since this generally is a great spot
during migration.  But not any more!  It looks like someone went in and
clear cut a swath of 50' or more and then followed up with generous
application of herbicide, leaving no vegetation of any kind in a wide
band for much of the 1½ mile length of the trail - hideously ugly and,
so far as I can see, totally unnecessary in terms of protecting power
lines since nothing had been even remotely close to line height. (Plus
this is less than 100' feet from the Seneca Lake shore - wonder what
effect the herbicide that was washed into the lake had on the lake
ecology?)  I think the actual bush remains where this past spring's
Yellow Throated Warbler was seen, but so much of the surrounding area is
devastated that the area certainly will be less likely to attract it
next year.  The cedars and taller trees further back remain, but the
brushy spots and smaller trees on the east side of the trail are almost
all gone now

Does anyone know when this was done?  And if it was NYSEG or the NYS
Parks?  I'm equal parts heartbroken and furious.

Alicia

P.S.  The NYS Parks 2020 Plan has set as Goal 6, "Sustain New York's
Natural Environment" and goes on to say,

    As stewards of the 335,000 acres of parkland, a central part of
    State Parks’ mission is to protect its natural treasures, beautiful
    open spaces and diversity of plant and animal life.
    • Protecting natural resources.A variety of stewardship
    initiatives–in partnership with colleges, not-for-profits and
    volunteers–will include projects to prevent the spread of invasive
    species, protect rare plants and animals, plant trees and improve
    natural habitat at parks across the State.

Really?!  By wiping out a prime re-fueling stop for migrating warblers??!!