From: bounce-123920973-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-123920973-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Magnus Fiskesjo
<magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:10 PM
To: Laura Stenzler <l...@cornell.edu>; CAYUGABIRDS-L
<cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: RE:[cayugabirds-l] Migrants

What a lucky occasion!

Such flocks seem rare. I have not seen any of these birds migrating this fall,
no warblers, despite a number of excursions. I think I have seen just one
Yellow-rumped warbler. In Lindsay Parsons the other day, the only migrants were
2-3 warbling vireos (also, a couple catbirds and goldfinches, but those would
be local residents, I think?). Otherwise silent and rather empty, and most
places seem pretty empty of birds ... is my admittedly unscientific overall
sense. In birdbooks and online, one often sees notes on drastic declines in
various birds, because of farming, poisons, etc. There was a discussion here
earlier, involving experts on numbers of breeeding birds, and it was
interesting to read, but also inconclusive, and I still wonder if there are
things to read that sum up what we know of the overall big-picture decline of
bird numbers, if that is what is happening?

--yrs.
Magnus Fiskesjö, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, Cornell University
McGraw Hall, Room 201. Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
E-mail: magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu, or: n...@cornell.edu