The early F-types I was referring to were very clearly female, being observed
by my grad student who was working on them for his disseration. They had begun
twittering, cattail to cattail by March.  Their marsh was all unfrozen.  We
were starting to wonder if they would actually build nests in March.  Typically
older females come back before younger ones.  I suppose they could confuse by
having salmon color in their heads, but their body feathers are not dark.

As for universal “conversion” of males into certain males by February?  I
wouldn’t count on there NOT being some very odd males still.

As an old primate person, I think the banders' age designations are confusingly
obfuscatory of critical differences.  Blackbirds here fledge from sometime in
May to 15 July (or maybe later now).  That means that young males returning now
in mid February range in age from 7 mos to 9 mos old.  This probably
contributes to a big range in plumages for those young males.  But it isn’t
hard to tell young “female-type” males  from young or old females.  Young
females are very stripey, but not blackish-stripy and their heads are light;
older females often will have salmon-orange color in their heads and are
definitely not blackish in overtone.  In some years, some older females have
distinct epaulets (an easy fall and winter??), but they are usually only
visible in hand or during aggression.  So I would expect anyone seeing a very
immature pliumage male would say something like “wow, that can’t be just a
really dark female…but what IS it?”   And the feathers will be odd looking,
because they include dark ones that young females don’t have.  I think I have
some pictures from the last two years….

Anne

Anne B Clark
147 Hile School Rd