Specifically about local grassland birds v hay-cutting:
You may have heard of or met Reuben Stoltzfus, an avid and expert birder who
lives in Ovid. He’s Amish and he doesn’t post on Cayugabirds-L, but he does
have ways to read it (Reuben, I hope I don’t misrepresent you or make you
uncomfortable by writing this!). While he makes his living as a roofer, not
directly as a farmer, he does own some farmland, some of which is leased out
and some for his family, who keep a few horses for local transportation and a
dairy cow or two. He once described to me his difficult decision-making process
of when and where to cut for hay or to prevent weeds from seeding. He observed
birds (Grasshopper Sparrows and Bobolinks, as I recall) to determine as exactly
as possible where they were nesting and how far along they were. And he both
delayed cutting and left some small areas standing that still had active nests.

I’m sure that Reuben’s passion, knowledge, and relatively small scale helped
make this possible, but I wonder to what degree this could be scaled up. Could
birders survey fields to tell willing farmers what birds were nesting where for
how long, allowing some cutting to proceed while other cutting was delayed or
in small areas omitted for the birds’ sake? I would prioritize the species in
the most trouble, such as Bobolinks, certain sparrows, and (should we be so
lucky) Upland Sandpipers, but be more willing to sacrifice abundant Red-winged
Blackbirds.

That may sound cruel, but decisions are made all the time in agriculture as to
who may live and who will die. On the scale of my yard and garden, I try to be
aware of which plants I pull up and which I allow to grow for food (for humans
for birds or for insects), for beauty, or for native diversity. I try hard to
keep out mammals who would eat my food, but those I catch within the
triple-fenced garden are lucky to get out alive. Sometimes the agricultural
decision (by others) is to label as “weeds” all broad-leafed plants which are
not genetically engineered, regardless of whether they are invasive exotics or
they are native plants necessary to the life cycle of native animals, such as
Milkweeds for Monarchs, when using Round-up herbicide. Or it’s a decision to
label as “pests” all insects (maybe even all arthropods?) including the wasps
and other predatory insects which help keep other insects in check, when using
broad-spectrum pesticides in a widespread yet standard manner. Some
insecticides genetically engineered into crops can kill insects when the
insects harmlessly gather pollen. Some insecticides, called neonicatinamides,
applied to seeds before they are planted will kill insects that eat any of the
grown plant, and that insecticide can also pollute the groundwater. Tilling
deliberately kills plants. Applying chemical fertilizers can lead to run-off
which causes algal blooms that de-oxygenate water bodies and kill all aerobic
animals. It’s incredible the breadth and depth of killing by agriculture. And
without insects, a whole lot of birds are in trouble.

Some general thoughts:
We all depend on agriculture (I assume that, despite the wide readership of
CayugaBirds-L, there are no complete hunter-gatherers subscribed). Agriculture
is the diversion of natural biological systems toward human purposes.
Agriculture therefore subtracts from natural ecosystems, and from populations
of wild plants and animals. To the extent Agriculture has encroached (and the
percentage of potentially arable land which is already in agriculture is very
high), native species that previously had sustainable populations no longer
have access to extensive intact ecosystems like where they evolved. And we are
all, to a greater or lesser extent, responsible.

What can we do? My approach is to try to live lightly.
* Buy only what you need, and use it as thoroughly as you can. Compost the
inedible stuff and use the compost to grow new food. A lot of food in the US is
wasted, 40% is the number I’ve seen, although I’m not sure what was counted.
Although I feed birds, I don’t have pets, so what I consider necessary is low.
* Live low on the food chain: eat lots of plants. In general, eating farmed
animals has about an order of magnitude greater environmental impact, because
the farmed animal must eat so much farmed plant matter in order to grow and
sustain itself before we eat it. When eating meat, I prefer poultry, which is
far more efficient than beef, and I eat local small scale pork, which I also
think has a lower impact than beef. Am I perfect? Far from it; I love cheese.
* Buy organic to avoid poisoning the environment. Or at least get food grown
with Integrated Pest Management (IPU), which chooses the least environmentally
destructive method to use in the most targeted way to address only the pest
problems which are actually found to exist, as opposed to wholesale
applications regardless of whether or not there was any demonstrated pest
problem. Grow your own food without poisons.
* Buy local. I prefer to buy the sunflower seed grown in Lansing rather than
think of depriving birds in some other part of the country to feed birds here.
Use money more to support small scale growers who may share our concerns, and
less money toward packaging, polluting transportation, corporations which
maximize extraction and profits by externalizing their costs (getting away with
not paying the cost of their damage) to the environment (e.g. ripping out
hedgerows; applying poisons) and to people (e.g. keeping farmers in hock;
underpaying immigrant labor). A diverse local environment may be able to absorb
the impact of scattered and well-run small farms, whereas the manure from
factory farms (cows, pigs, or poultry) is just too voluminous, concentrated,
and toxic (compare the manure we saw a few years ago spread on fields that
would attract Snow Buntings in winter, to the vile liquid which larger dairies
now spew over vast areas).

Among the animals I have seen in my garden are American Goldfinches taking
bites of Swiss Chard leaves, but they don’t eat so much as to be pests in my
biased opinion.

- - Dave Nutter