Hi,

   I work at the Lab of O, and I suppose that I could be labelled a "disease
ecologist", but I want to make clear that I'm not speaking for the Lab of
Ornithology here.

   Anyway, in terms of spread in NYS, I've heard informally that whatever this
disease is, it's seems to have started to appear in the area around Ithaca.

   In my opinion there's no way that any human action is going to stop the
spread of the disease, if it's caused by a pathogen (e.g., bacteria, virus,
protozoa).  I cannot think of a single wildlife disease (and extremely few
human diseased, i.e. just smallpox) that has been stopped.  Spread might be
slowed, but that's about it.
   Given that we don't know the cause of the disease, even slowing spread seems
unlikely to me.  There are not clearly obvious recommendations for actions that
would be certain to have a positive effect.  Taking down feeders might help, if
the disease is caused by a directly transmitted pathogen.  However, if it's
really true that mostly young birds are coming down with the disease, they
might not be the most likely to be attending bird feeders...of course it might
just be that younger birds are more likely to be noticed.  If the disease is
caused by a vector-transmitted pathogen (mosquito-transmitted, for example)
then actions like taking down bird feeders likely would have extremely minimal
effects, at best.
   Only if the disease is somehow caused by a human-made toxin could there be a
chance for really effective action, I'm guessing.

   Having written all of the above, whatever recommendations I've seen couldn't
hurt, and so they seem reasonable from that perspective.

   We'll have to wait a few months to see if we can detect any effect of the
populations of some bird species, looking at data from eBird or Project
FeederWatch, but that's something that should probably be done this fall.  I
know that wouldn't help the situation, but right now there's no clear
information about the impact of the disease on bird populations.  Individual
birds are definitely dying, but the magnitude of the effect on populations as a
whole is unknown, as far as I know.

Wesley