I have no idea whether this thought applies to Nyger and Sunflower, or for
that matter, mixes with one or more kinds of millet and some safflower
seed, but in my days with a research flock of budgerigars, it may be the
mix that is the best diet.  It transpires that canary seed and millet seed
have very different and somewhat complimentary nutritional profiles.  For
their seed portion of the diet, it was supposed to be much better for
budgies to eat both, and indeed they did (except when fearful, when they
switched to all millet, but that is another story).

But to relate it to what everyone sees at their feeders, budgies do NOT eat
equal amounts of the two seeds which do require different processing
techniques.  If one followed what they were eating seed by seed vs spending
time eating vs were interested in eating after only one was available for a
while, one might come up with different impressions on their preferences.

So I wonder--even if goldfinches are concentrating on sunflower chips
(speedy and oily and big return on time), do they also occasionally eat
nyger as a more complete diet?  I don't know that I have ever seen a study
looking at preferences before or after having only one choice--and that
might be when one would notice an unusual or opposite preference for a
time. As observers, we might interpret visits to another feeder as
"avoiding more dominant species", when in fact the bird is making its quick
diet-completing stop!

Anne