On 2010-06-13 20:22, Bernhard Bauer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:38, Joel Rosdahl <j...@rosdahl.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> #!/bin/sh
>> CCACHE_PREFIX=distcc exec ccache "$@"
>
> That should work, provided PATH is modified to exclude /X, otherwise
> ccache would call this script again when calling distcc (because it's
> not a symlink to ccache).

Right. Or use an absolute path to the real distcc in CCACHE_PREFIX.

> [...] I'll try to find out if it helps performance, and  come
> back complaining to you if it doesn't ;-)

:-) Yes, it could be hard to measure any difference.

> I had distcc failing complaining about a compiler option that's
> specific to Objective-C, but only when running the job on another
> host. My guess is that distcc (or at least the old version Apple is
> shipping) doesn't recognize .mi/.mii as being Objective-C files, so on
> the other host it writes them to a temp file ending in .i/.ii before
> calling gcc, then gcc assumes they're plain c/c++ files. But yeah, in
> that case I probably need -x always, I just didn't want to muck around
> with the command line options any more than necessary.

I see. distcc 2.18.3 (the oldest release I can find on distcc.org) seems
to know about .mi/.mii. Do you think it's acceptable to upgrade to a
newer distcc to fix this? It would be nice to avoid having a workaround
for older distcc versions.

-- Joel