I think Vik mentioned once before you can provision/assign the HD
codec to 7941/7961 phones but you can't answer the call unless you
have the newer handset.  I wonder if answering on speaker phone would
work?

I've seen the 7962 as low as $209, 7942 for $162, 7961 for $140, 7941
for $119 all refurbished.