Remember that even if you set this on the edge it is possible to remark at the
dial peer or by policy map.  This could be quite useful, say ITSP #1 uses one
setting and ITSP#2 uses another.  Then you could set them differently as they
are sent.  This gives you flexibility.

In this case the command is being used to ensure cs3 is used for signaling.

More details here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/vcr2/vcr-i1.html#GUID-2FC584E4-49EB-455F-BA0B-B1EB68515CCF
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_i1ht.html#wp1031100

Sent from my iPad