Dear all,

  I have a modelling problem, which probably has something to do with
the solvent mask.

There is a positive density blob at the surface of my protein, which I
can more or less satisfy with a Hepe (EPE). Hepes is in the buffer,
the sulfonic acid H-bonds to a lysine side chain and a main chain N,
one of the ring nitrogens to a glutamate side chain. At occupancy 1.0
I get B-factors twice as high as the protein and negative difference
density. Thus, I set the occupancy to 0.5 and get the whole EPE
covered in positive difference density at 3 sig, peaking at 6 sig.
This positive density is much larger than without EPE. On first
glance, this looked contradictory to me: more positive density after
putting more atoms there. I can only guess that the solvent at the
place of the EPE is set to 0 (instead of 0.5), so I get positive
density because of only 0.5 occupied EPE. Can I refine with half a
ligand and half solvent?
Greetings
  Gottfried

I should add that I am refining with refmac version 5.8.0419.
parameters:

SCALE TYPE SIMPLE
SOLVENT YES

Sorry for the confusion because of hijacking another thread of the
bulletin board.