Dear colleagues,

Something to muse over during the holidays:

Let's say we have three crystal forms of the same protein, for example
crystallized with different ligands. Crystal forms A and B have the same
crystal packing, except that one unit cell dimension differs by, for example,
3%. Crystal form C has a different crystal packing arrangement altogether. What
is the right nomenclature to describe the relationship between these crystal
forms?

If A and B are sufficiently different that their phases are essentially
uncorrelated, what do we call them? Near-isomorphous? Non-isomorphous?
Do we need a different term to distinguish them from C or do we call all three
datasets non-isomorphous?

Thanks for helping us resolve our semantic tangle.

Happy holidays!
Doeke

=====

Doeke Hekstra
Assistant Professor of Molecular & Cellular Biology, and of Applied Physics
(SEAS),
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Chemical and Physical Biology
Center for Systems Biology, Harvard University
52 Oxford Street, NW311
Cambridge, MA 02138
Office:    617-496-4740
Admin:   617-495-5651 (Lin Song)