De: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> em nome de
careinaedgo...@yahoo.com <000002531c126adf-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk>
Enviado: Thursday, February 8, 2024 8:25:25 AM
Para: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Assunto: [ccp4bb] Crystals with DNA

 Hello all.

I am struggling to get defracting crystals with a protein DNA complex. The
crystals are plentiful but they do not diffract. I am going back to the grind
stone and relookong at my DNA sequence.
Is there any wisdom you could give me with regards to what works best with DNA
in crystals?
>From my reading it seems if the length is a multiple of 7 (for B DNA) and
>blunt ended, it will stretch over the length of the crystal and improve
>crystalisability. But if you want crystals that diffract better, you will need
>to play with length and even making it only one base longer or shorter can
>make a difference, even changing the morphology of the crystal? Longer is
>better than shorter, and overhangs are good for improving diffraction?
>Presumably because they stabilize contacts? It is expensive to synthesize a
>while bunch of sequences so I need to be strategic in my choice. Would
>appreciate any advice.
Thank you
Careina.