There are journals that have specific specifications for these parameters,
so it matters where you publish. I've seen restrictions that the highest
resolution shell has to have I/sig > 2 and completeness > 90%. Your
mileage may vary.

I typically process my data to a maximum I/sig near 1, and completeness in
the highest resolution shell to 50% or greater. It's reasonable to expect
the multiplicity/redundancy to be greater than 2, though that is difficult
with the lower symmetry space groups in triclinc and monoclinic systems
(depending upon crystal orientation and detector geometry). The chi^2's
should be relatively uniform over the entire resolution range, near 1 in
the highest resolution bins, and near 1 overall. With this set of
criteria, R(merge)/R(sym) (on I) can be as high as 20% and near 100% for
the highest resolution shell. R is a poor descriptor when you have a
substantial number of weak intensities because it is dominated by the
denominator; chi^2's are a better descriptor since it has, essentially,
the same numerator.

One should also note that the I/sig criteria can be misleading. It is the
*average* of the I/sig in a resolution shell, and as such, will include
intensities that are both weaker and stronger than the average. For the
highest resolution shell, if you discard intensities greater than 2sig,
then you are also discarding intensities substantially greater than 2sig
as well. The natural falloff of the intensities is reflected (no pun
intended) by the average B-factor of the structure, and you need the
higher resolution, weaker data to best define that parameter.

Protein diffraction data is inherently weak, and far weaker than we obtain
for small molecule crystals. Generally, we need all the data we can get,
and the dynamic range of the data that we do get is smaller than that
observed for small molecule crystals. That's why we use restraints in
refinement. An observation of a weak intensity is just as valid as the
observation of a strong observation, since you are minimizing a function
related to matching Iobs to Icalc. This is even more valid with refinement
targets like the maximum likelihood function. The ONLY reasons that we
ever used I/sig or F/sig cutoffs in refinements was to make the
calculations faster (since we were substantially limited by computing
power decades ago), the sig's were not well-defined for weak intensities
(especially for F's), and the detectors were not as sensitive. Now, with
high brilliance x-ray sources and modern detectors, you can, in fact,
measure weak intensities well--far better than we could decades ago. And
while the dynamic range of intensities for a protein set is relatively
flat, in comparison to a small molecule dataset, those weak terms near
zero are important in restraining the Fcalc's to be small, and therefore
helping to define the phases properly.

In 2007, I don't see a valid argument of severe cutoff's in I/sig at the
processing stage. I/sig = 1 and a reasonable completeness of 30-50% in the
highest resolution shell should be adequate to include most of the useful
data. Later on, during refinement, you can, indeed, increase the
resolution limit, if you wish. Again, with targets like maximum
likelihood, there is no statistical reason to do that. You do it because
it makes the R(cryst), R(free), and FOM look better. You do it because you
want to have a 2.00A vs. 1.96A resolution structure. What is always true
is that you need to look at the maps, and they need as many terms in the
Fourier summation as you can include. There should never be an argument
that you're savings on computing cycles. It's takes far longer to look
carefully at an electron density map and make decisions on what to do than
to carry out refinement. We're rarely talking about twice the computing
time, we're probably thinking 10% more. That's definately not a reason to
throw out data. We've got lots of computing power and lots of disk
storage, let's use to our advantage.

That's my nickel.

Bernie Santarsiero