It seems not so long ago that people were interested not only in stereo
graphics, but also in research into interactive gloves etc. for maximal
virtual reality in manipulating protein structures, "feeling" forces,
etc.

To simulate depth by rendering solvent accessible surfaces with shadows
and reflections is fine for understanding those surfaces, and rotations
of stick representations of bonds is OK if the zoom is large. But best
understanding of structures, comparisons, dynamics, must come with
maximal use of the brain's natural abilities, including stereo vision. I
am sure that the computer gaming world will make virtual reality widely
affordable for protein structure research in a few years.

Rick

The Norwegian Structural Biology Centre
Department of Chemistry
University of Tromsø