I think this is only a problem in the primitive orthorhombic system (at least I assume people don't want hexagonal axes along a, A & B centred lattices etc, although there is no reason in principle why not).

Following some earlier discussions with Ian, Pointless now honours (and preserves) a reference file (HKLREF) in eg P 2 21 21, and also explicit reindex operations, but an initial indexing will still enforce the "standard" setting eg P 21 21 2, because I accept the "reference" setting from the cctbx library

ie suppose you have a crystal which when indexed with a <= b <= c and Pointless decides unambiguously for the sake of argument) that the axis along a is a 2-fold and the other two are 2(1) screws, ie space group P 2 21 21.

At present this will be reindexed to the "standard" setting P 21 21 2, but is that what you want, or should it be left as a<b<c? Which criterion takes precedence?

Phil