From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Li
Zhijie
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:36 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] UV light source for protein xtal detection

Hello,

You may want to have a look at the UV LEDs, which should be the cheapest
option if you only need a specific wavelenth.

I found this on google: http://www.3dzled.com/other.html. It seems that they

can make 280nM LEDs. It is interesting to note that they also said these
LEDs' "Wavelength tolerance is usually within +/- 5 nm. For example 254 nm
would be 249 nm to 259 nm and 415 nm would be 410 nm to 415 nm or 415 nm to
420 nm" - apparently not as pure as those generated by monochrometers, but
should be good enough for quatitating protein or exciting some fluorophores.

I wonder if the microscope makers would ever consider using these instead of

those multi-thousand $ light sources.

One more thing: do not forget that 280nm UV is extremely harmful to human
eyes and skin.

Zhijie Li