Which brings up something about PISA. If I run PISA on pdb entry 2IE3, which I'm familiar with, I get the following numbers from PISA and CCP4's AREAIMOL (surface areas in Angstrom^2) for the A:C interface.

>> PISA for 2IE3
    Automatic A:C interface selection         907.9
(a crystal packing interface is larger than this, but this surface is the A:C interface)

>> AreaIMol with some editing of 2IE3 to separate the chains
    Chain A                        25,604.4
    Chain C                        11,847.4
Total                              37,451.8
    Chain AC                       35,576.6
Difference                          1,875.2
Difference/2                          937.6

For buried S.A. I agree with Steve Darnell's definition. However PISA appears to be reporting half that value, or what it calls "interface area". Potentially confusing.

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton

Steven Darnell wrote:
Sorry, that equation should read:

Buried_Surface_Area = ASA_unbound1 + ASA_unbound2 - ASA_bound
ASA = Accessible Surface Area

The way I wrote it before would give you a negative value.

Regards,
Steve Darnell